After completing the Master's Thesis, the student can:
- critically evaluate and apply research information
- use the chosen methods to analyse ja solve problems in working life
- work independently as an expert in demanding contexts in which he/she is managing his/her own and possibly also the others’ work in a target-oriented way
- communicate and network in his/her own field and in international environment
- take into account communal and ethical perspectives of own profession.
Content of study unit
The essential part of Master-level studies is a thesis of 30 credits. The thesis starts normally immediately at the beginning of the studies, and it passes through the entire study period, although it is possible that the thesis will follow other studies if necessary.
The thesis is implemented as a development project with a research-based approach and a close connection to practical work. The student carries out his/her development work at his/her workplace, in RDI projects of the Turku University of Applied Sciences, in working life connections or in a manner agreed with the supervisor. The thesis is based on commission, if possible. It is preferable that the thesis is based on an assignment.
The thesis relies on in-depth information gathering and analysis, and the development process utilizes relevant research methods following principles of good scientific practice. The thesis includes documenting and reporting on development activities. The student will become familiar with the methodological skills necessary for development and reporting in the course on research and development methods.
Working consists of the following steps:
1. Presentation of the thesis idea
2. Thesis plan
3. Thesis agreement
4. Implementation, related research information and documentation of the work in accordance with industry practice and in a meaningful way for the thesis
5. Participation in a group supervision (“thesis learning café”) and individual guidance of the thesis
6. Presentation of the results after completion of the thesis
7. Maturity test: The student must write a maturity examination in the field of the thesis. This demonstrates awareness with the subject and the linguistic competence. If the (excellent) competence of the school education language has already been assessed in previous studies, the maturity test will only serve as a test the professional expertise. The maturity test is evaluated on a scale approved/ failed.
8. Ensuring that there is no plagiarism in the thesis and evaluation of the thesis
Learning methods: Research and development project; participating seminars, and in individual and group tutoring.
Pedagogical methods: Teachers tutoring Master thesis studies act as contact persons, bridge-builders enabling students to become part of project community. Mentoring and feedback from peer students in small groups is organized in order to support student’s active and responsible participation during Master thesis studies. Working life partners are involved in assessment of student’s Master thesis process. Development project includes 30 study credits which equals 810 work hours, i.e. 20 weeks of full time studying.
The thesis will be evaluated using scale 1–5, applying the evaluation criteria of TUAS Master School. The assessment focuses on RDI-process and reporting on it orally and in writing. TUAS staff is responsible for the summative assessment at the end of the process, and the assessment will be done by two supervisors.
Teacher(s) in charge
01.08.2021 - 31.07.2022
Enrollment date range
02.07.2021 - 31.12.2021
Master of Business Administration, Project Management