No textbooks. Materials linked onto the course itslearning platform or provided by the students themselves.
Reading, writing, discussing, thinking both individually and in pairs and groups.
The study unit is assessed on a scale from 1 to 5 based on course assignments and active attendance and participation. No exam.
One factor is attendance and contribution activity, and the rest are oral and written assignments. Each of these brings in 0 to 2 points such that
0 points = task done but not handed in on time/not accepted before revision
1 point = accepted
2 points = good work.
5 11 - 12
4 9 - 10
3 7 - 8
2 5 - 6
1 1 - 4
0 Tasks not accepted.
For attendance, points can be gained such that
- 1 point = 13 out of 15 sessions, "mentally awake"
- 2 points = 13 out of 15 sessions, actively contributing to discussions, taking others into account in group situations, and showing initiative.
10.01.2022 - 30.04.2022
01.12.2021 - 19.01.2022
0 - 35
Tekniikka ja liiketoiminta
This is a skills course, and skills need practice.
Minimum attendance requirement 75%.
Active attendance brings in points for grading, see below.
Tieto- ja viestintätekniikan koulutus
No final exam and thus no re-exam. Possibly a few small tests along the way on some limited subject areas (based on homework).
Contact sessions in a classroom setting or online once or twice a week. Weekly home assignments.
Note that all assignments include dealing with the topic both orally and in writing. For successful task completion, both components need to be taken care of. Thus, active attendance is necessary.
Language use and thinking skills are interrelated, which is why the course aims to provide food for thought on various themes.
34 h of contact lessons in a classroom setting or online, 110 h of independent/group working
writing professional, field-specific texts
presenting and discussing field-specific topics in a professional manner
reading field-specific texts and utilizing the information in professional contexts
learning and using key terminology of the field
becoming professional, autonomous language users in working life
- tasks undone or not accepted AND/OR
- attendance below 75%
- deficient mastery of language mechanics, e.g. problems with tenses or sentence formation
- pronunciation issues which hamper understanding
- message often unclear
- limited use of vocabulary
- deficient mastery of register (politeness, appropriate style, choice of words)
- tasks late or only partly completed
- little or no contribution to discussion and/or pair work in class
- references not provided
- tasks completed in accordance with instructions and by due date
- close to error-free mastery of language mechanics (CEFR C)
- clear pronunciation
- message coherent and clear
- good grasp of text structure
- versatile use of vocabulary
- good grasp of register (politeness, appropriate style)
- active contribution to class discussions and pair work
- correct use of references