Internal Medicine Nursing 7031533-3004 01.08.2020-31.12.2020 6 credits(MSHTK20A)+-
Teacher(s) in charge
01.08.2020 - 31.12.2020
Enrollment date range
01.04.2020 - 31.12.2020
Health and Well-being
Degree Programme in Nursing
Competence objectives of study unit
Internal Medicine Nursing 6 cr SIHO
- Students will become familiar with the treatment path of internal medicine patients.
- Students will know how to determine and document internal medicine patients’ needs for care, plan and administer care, evaluate the effectiveness of care and draw the necessary conclusions.
- Students will be able to apply evidence-based knowledge at the different phases of nursing.
- Students will learn to promote patient safety in the treatment of internal medicine patients, identify the infection risks related to such treatment and take proper action to minimise the risks.
- Students will be able to identify and provide immediate first aid in sudden attacks of illness.
- Students will know how to support and give advice to patients and their family members about managing health problems and carrying out lifestyle changes required for common internal medicine disorders.
- Students can select the customer-oriented teaching and guidance methods, such as individual or group guidance, best suited to the context.
- Students will understand the impact of long-term illness in the life of an internal medicine patient.
- Students will know how to support the patient’s self-care and commitment to treatment.
- Students will be familiar with the safe and effective administration of pharmacotherapy and fluid therapy to internal medicine patients.
- Students will know how to use health care technology in the treatment of internal medicine patients.
- Students will become familiar with the roles and responsibilities of different professional groups and will understand the importance of cooperation in maintaining and promoting the functional capacity of internal medicine patients.
Content of study unit
The study unit comprises 2 cr of studies offered in English
- Treatment paths of internal medicine patients, acute and long-term patient
- The most common illnesses requiring conservative treatment, their nursing and rehabilitation
- Nursing of heart disease patients
- Nursing of acute chest pain patients
- Nursing of acute respiratory deficiency patients
- Nursing of patients suffering from respiratory disorders
- Nursing of patients suffering from endocrine disorders
- Nursing of patients suffering from musculoskeletal disorders
- Nursing of patients suffering from neurologic disorders
- Nursing of patients suffering from intestinal disorders
- Nursing of patients suffering from kidney and liver disorders
- Assistance methods used in the treatment of internal medicine patients - Personal guidance for patients and family members
- Support for commitment to treatment
- Documentation of commitment
- Fluid therapy and pharmacotherapy plan and administration
- Documentation of treatment
- Advanced resuscitation