Advanced Studies in Gerontological Nursing, 5 credits - 7031544
There is no timing planned for this course unit.
Number of ECTS credits
No upcoming implementations. See the syllabus for more information.
Competence objectives of study unit
ADVANCED STUDIES IN GERONTOLOGICAL NURSING 5 CR GEHO
- Students will deepen their knowledge of age-related policies, the service system for the elderly and nursing for the elderly.
- Students will understand how the physiology of ageing and age-related changes are linked to the manifestations of illness and problems related to treatment.
- Students will gain insight into the special questions that must be taken into account when treating the elderly, such as ill-treatment and prevention of accidents
- Students will strengthen their competence in the safe medication of the elderly
- Students will learn about the possibilities of gerontechnology in supporting the independence and functional capacity of the elderly.
- Students will learn to cooperate within a multiprofessional network to plan, carry out and assess guidance and education to help the elderly achieve and maintain their well-being, health and functional capacity.
- Students will learn to assess the need for comprehensive care and to survey functional capacity and use this information to plan the coordination, implementation and evaluation of care and service.
- Students will learn to assess the need for care of elderly patients and how to make independent decisions regarding necessary measures.
- Students will learn to adhere to the values and ethical principles of nursing in their work.
Content of study unit
- Ageing-related illnesses and changes in functional capacity
- Special questions in the treatment of the elderly
- Special features of pharmacotherapy for the elderly
- Gerontechnology as a support for the independent and functional capacity of the elderly
- Comprehensive assessment and promotion of the functional capacity and health of the elderly
- Assessment of the need for care of and administration of care to an elderly patient suffering from acute illness
- Ethical questions related to the treatment of elderly patients