There is no timing planned for this course unit.
Marjo Kaarto, Saara Laaksonen
Intensive care and Accident and emergency nursing:
All material in Optima and
• Hinkle J & Cheever K. 2014. Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing. 13 th ed. Chapters: 13 Fluid and Electrolytes: Balance and Disturbance, 14 Shock and Multiple organ dysfunction syndrome, 21 Respiratory Care modalities, 43 Management of patients with musculoskeletal trauma, 68 Management of patients with Neurologic trauma, 72, Emergency Nursing, 73 Terrorism, mass casualty and disaster nursing
• E-book: Booker, Kathy J., editor. 2015. Critical care nursing: monitoring and treatment for advanced nursing practice. Wiley-Blackwell. Chapters: 2-6, 8-10, 13
• E-book: Jones J & Fix B. 2015. Critical Care Notes : Clinical Pocket Guide. F.A. Davis Company.
Suggested literature on perioperative nursing:
- Adams M. P., Holland L. N. & Urban C. Q. 2011. Pharmacology for nurses. A Pathophysiologic approach. 3 Edition. Pearson. USA. Chapter 18. Drugs for the control of pain and Chapter 19. Drugs for local and general anesthesia. Chapter 34. Drugs for Bacterial Infections
- Berman A. & Snyder S. 2016. Kozier & Ers Fundamentals of nursing. Concepts, process, and practice. 10th edition. Pearson. USA. Chapter 37 Perioperative nursing
- Brunner & Suddarths Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing. 13 th or newer ed. Chapter 18 Intraoperative Nursing Management. Chapter 19: Care of the Patient in the Postanesthesia Care Unit
- Greenstein B. & Dould D. 2010. Trounces Clinical pharmacology for nurses. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier. 18edition. China. Chapter 10 Narcotic analgesics, Chapter 11 Anti-inflammatory drugs, Chapter 18 General anaesthesia, local anaesthetics and resuscitation.
- Spry C. 2009. Essentials of Perioperative Nursing. 4 edition. Jones and Bartlett. USA
- Wicker, Paul. Perioperative practice at a glance. https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/turkuamk-ebooks/detail.action?docID=189510
• Case studies
• Demonstrations/ simulations
• Clinical workshops
• Practical training in classroom
• Case conference
Theory courses on basic and professional studies should be mostly completed before enrollment on this course.
Intensive care nursing:
ARDS case study: Approved/ failed
Multiple trauma with head injury case study: Approved/ failed
Practical training in classroom 2 h, attendance mandatory: Approved/ failed
Clinical workshop on ICU nursing 2x4 h, attendance mandatory: Approved/ failed
Accident and emergency nursing:
Patient Case seminar presentations: Approved/ failed
Clinical workshop on Accident and emergency nursing 2 x 4 h, attendance mandatory: Approved/ failed
ICU and Accident and emergency nursing exam: numeral evaluation
Specialist perioperative nursing:
Demonstration/simulation: Approved/ failed
19.08.2019 - 13.09.2019
02.05.2019 - 30.08.2019
10 - 30
Health and Well-being
Intensive care nursing 2 cr: Saara Laaksonen
Accident and emergency nursing 2 cr: Saara Laaksonen
Specialist nursing of perioperative patients 1 cr: Marjo Kaarto
Degree Programme in Nursing
• Classroom learning
• Team based learning
• Task based learning
• Learning through simulation
Assignments and student workload:
Intensive care nursing 2 cr, 54 hours:
Contact lessons 20 h and independent study 34 hours.
ARDS case study
Multiple trauma with head injury case study
Clinical workshop on ICU nursing 2 x 4 h: ventilator treatment, tracheostomy care, taking and interpreting arterial blood gas analysis and ECG quizzes.
Accident and emergency nursing 2 cr, 54 hours:
Contact lessons 20 h and independent study 34 hours.
Patient Case seminar (with group work) presentations
Clinical workshop on Accident and emergency nursing 2 x 4 h: VIRVE phone, IO route, transport ventilator, the use of the Lifepack 15 for monitoring, nursing calculations.
ICU and Accident and emergency nursing exam
Specialist perioperative nursing 1 cr, 27 hours:
Contact lessons 10 h and independent study 17 hours.
Demonstration/simulation of the case which is related to the perioperative care.
•The students simulate/demonstrate the case of a perioperative nursing process in the operation theatre. The groups (5-6 persons) design their simulation independently and practise the simulation independently in the class. If necessary, a practice in the teacher's control is also arranged.
•The students draw up the plan of the simulation (the teacher accepted).
•For the simulation, the students fetch at least one scientific article (max 5 years old) which is connected with the case to be demonstrated and the central results are presented in a simulation. The scientific article will be submitted for approval to the teacher in good time before the demonstration, either on paper or electronically
•Every group acts as the opponents to the other group. The simulations are carried out, 6h. Specific instructions are in Optima.
Content and timing: weeks 34-37
Intensive care nursing 2 cr
• treatment of ventilator patients
• nursing of different emergency and intensive care patients
Specialist nursing of perioperative patients 1 cr
Contents: Specialist perioperative nursing of various surgical patients
Accident and emergency nursing 2 cr
• Emergency and critical care service and service providers
• The VIRVE radio and its basic use
• Treatment processes of patients with different disorders and injuries in accident and emergency nursing