The course material is in Its. The students are advised to use laptops or tablets to access the material during the course.
The course is based on the flipped classroom method; the students study the theoretical part independently with help of the provided material and the meetings are used for guidance, practice and testing.
The evaluation is assignment-based and no exams will be organized.
The final evaluation is based on the gathered points from different sections on the scale of 1-5 as follows:
- participation and completion of tasks during the meetings 3 p x 5 meetings = max 15 p *
- completion of assignments 1-5 p x 4 assignments x 1.5 = max 30 p
- voluntary extra assignment 1-3 p
(* standard points, for incomplete tasks that show no effort/preparation/learning the points may be lowered)
Grades and gathered points:
- For full final evaluation complete ALL work within the given deadlines.
- Late assignments will be evaluated in connection with the final evaluation and receive no feedback.
- Assignments are not accepted after 12 December 2022.
- Note that assignments cannot be done again or replaced by other assignments, or an exam.
07.10.2022 - 31.12.2022
01.09.2022 - 28.10.2022
Engineering and Business
Degree Programme in Construction and Municipal Engineering
No exams or re-exams are arranged.
The students will be tested on their skills with spoken and written assignments on the course topics: emailing, reporting, discussion skills, presentation skills.
The course will run from 28 October to 9 December.
The course consists of contact lessons, online meetings and independent work/ teamwork.
The aim of the course is to activate and develop the students’ field-relevant English language and communication skills. The students will gain professional skills in various spoken and written communicative situations encountered in working life and society. Upon completing the course, the students should have acquired skills to communicate at level B2 according to European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- discuss field-related topics using related terminology
- present a field-related topic in a structured way
- express themselves in their own words
- express themselves in a spontaneous way
- express themselves in a clear way
- participates actively in discussions by commenting, asking and reacting
- follow the structure and language of report writing
- follow the structure and language of professional e-mail
- write in their own words using sources correctly
- consider the appropriate style for the situation
- express themselves in a clear and logical way