Heidi Alppirinne, David Yoken
31.08.2021 - 17.12.2021
23.08.2021 - 30.10.2021
6 - 8
David Yoken (not translated)
Degree Programme in Performing Arts
Linnankatu Arts Campus
In Dance and Music 1, we will focus upon TIME and the ways in which you as dancers/choreographers are able to use time in all aspects of your creative/pedagogical work.
We will meet “in-person” unless the situation regarding Covid19 changes to the online setting which will then focus more upon an overview of music and dance history.
1. To AWAKEN the kinetic sense of time, phrasing, and dynamics that you all possess as dancers.
2. To develop a functional sense and understanding of RHYTHM.
3. To develop functional and practical skills in READING RHYTHMIC NOTATION.
4. To develop basic skills in analyzing the time/phrasing (RHYTHM) of your own choreographic movement studies.
5. To develop basic voice skills in relationship to breath, the body, text, and theatrical applications of the authentic person in a performance space.
6. To develop basic skills in PERCUSSION / DRUMMING through mental/physical/musical exercises
7. Focus on overall strategies and possibilities regarding music for your solo choreography project that will be performed during spring 2020.
8. We will also explore ways to work with your mobile phone in location settings for choreo-musical video studies.
9. To introduce basic information regarding solo choreographic creative selection and analysis of Spring 2022 solo choreography's music/sound.
1. MOVEMENT STUDIES: In each class, we will explore different aspects of the topics mentioned above. MOVEMENT STUDIES MAY be assigned, and they will be presented in the following classes. You may have to dedicate outside (evenings/weekends) for these MOVEMENT STUDIES. You will always be given a short amount of class time to prepare the MOVEMENT STUDIES.
2. RHYTHMIC NOTATIONAL STUDIES: We will also spend time focused upon your rhythmic notational reading skills. These reading skills are an important FUNCTIONAL aspect of your overall development as a dancer.
3. LISTENING ASSIGNMENTS: You may be assigned tasks in which you will select musical compositions from online resources.
4. USING YOUR MOBILE DEVICES We may also explore some video possibilities “Physical Cinema” and ways for you to make simple edits using open-source digital video websites.
EVALUATION: Your final mark (approved/failed, Hyväksytty/Hylätty) for this course will be based on the following:
1. Attendance: As per the regulations of the Department of Dance.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL MATERIALS COVERED IN ALL CLASSES. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CONTACT ME IN ORDER TO ARRANGE TUTORIAL TIME IF YOU HAVE MISSED ANY CLASS MATERIAL
MESSAGES FOR ME CAN BE SENT TO ME firstname.lastname@example.org
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY HANDOUT MATERIALS THAT YOU HAVE MISSED BECAUSE OF YOUR ABSENCE. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CONTACT ME REGARDING THESE MISSING MATERIALS.
2. Creative/technical development during the fall course period: I will be evaluating your ability to UNDERSTAND and APPLY the concepts with which we are working: kinetic rhythmic coordination, rhythmic notational reading skills, etc.
3. Class/group participation: Often the “time studies” will involve GROUP ENSEMBLE structures, and your integration and support of the GROUP ENSEMBLE are essential for the full realization of a specific study.
Schedule Fall 2021 15 x 90 minutes.
Some classes will be “project-based” where you will be without me working on choreo-musical and rhythmic materials I have introduced in class.
All information is subject to change