Ecology (3 cr)
01.06.2023 - 03.09.2023
04.09.2023 - 15.12.2023
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Engineering and Business
40 - 50
- Degree Programme in Energy and Environmental Technology
- Eemeli Huhta
- 07.09.2023 08:15 - 10:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- 14.09.2023 08:00 - 10:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- 28.09.2023 08:00 - 10:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- 05.10.2023 09:00 - 16:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- 12.10.2023 08:00 - 10:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- 26.10.2023 08:00 - 10:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- 02.11.2023 08:00 - 10:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- 09.11.2023 08:00 - 10:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- 23.11.2023 08:00 - 10:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- 30.11.2023 08:00 - 10:00, Ekologia TE00BU14-3006
- The student understands the central concepts and fundamental questions in ecology.
- The student understands abiotic and biotic environmental factors, interactions between organisms and environment and organism adaptations to the environment.
- The student understands population dynamics and interactions between populations.
- The student understands interactions between communities.
- The student understands nutrient cycles.
- The student understands energy flows in ecosystems.
- The student knows the basics in aquatic ecology.
- The student understands central concepts in hydrology.
- The student understands physical and chemical properties of water.
- The student knows water cycle and different processes within the cycle.
- The student knows basic characteristics of different water bodies and central physical and chemical processes in different water bodies.
- The student knows the principals of water flow and quality field measurements.
Learning materials will be provided during lectures and via Its Learning online course platform.
Classroom activities, lectures, individual assignments, groupwork, presentations, fieldwork, intermediate exams.
Intermediate exams biweekly at the end of exam week. Intermediate exams are held on Its learning course platform and time limit will be applied.
Course will apply TurkuUAS innovation pedagogy methodology. Learning will include real life case examples, professionally oriented assignments and assignments to apply the theory into the practice. Students will have active role and they will have the responsibility for own learning activities and time planning.
Course assessment is assignment based and continuous and therefore course renewal will be agreed with teacher individually.
Student work is 27 h/student credit.
In addition to the individual weekly assignments, students will make presentation from selected water ecology subject.
All intermediate exams, assignments, presentation and peer assessment are compulsory.
Course will start at week 36.
There will be 2h of lectures weekly. Lectures will be held in campus & online. In addition, weekly individual assignments will be applied.
Basics of hydrology & practicals on field (1 credit)
Basics of ecology & water ecology presentations (2 credits)
Assessment methods and criteria
Assessment will be continuous and it will be based on individual assignments, intermediate exams and water ecology presentation. Assessment is point based.
Assessment criteria, fail (0)
Student does not achieve the course goals. Points does not pass the approval threshold.
Assessment criteria, satisfactory (1-2)
Student achieves the goals on poor level and the points equals to grade 1-2 threshold.
Assessment criteria, good (3-4)
Student achieves the goals well and the points equals to grade 3 - 4 threshold.
Assessment criteria, excellent (5)
Student achieves the goals on excellent level and points equals to grade 5 threshold.