Nursing of Perioperative Patients (4 cr)
02.12.2023 - 31.01.2024
19.02.2024 - 31.07.2024
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Health and Well-being
- Degree Programme in Midwifery
- Sanna Ojala
- Pienryhmä 1 (Size: 0. Open UAS: 0.)
- Pienryhmä 2 (Size: 0. Open UAS: 0.)
• Knows perioperative patients’ treatment path and can describe the patient’s perioperative
• Knows the principles of asepsis, and masters the principles and methods of infection control in the surgery ward
• Can work in the multi-professional working group for surgery and anaesthesia treatment at different stages of perioperative nursing, and knows the key factors influencing successful teamwork
• Knows the values and basic principles of surgical and anaesthetic nursing and can justify their operations with up-to-date research data?
• Knows the specific characteristics of the patient’s pharmacotherapy and fluid therapy and can utilise them in patient care???
• Knows the most common methods of anaesthesia and pain management?
• Can prepare the patient for anaesthesia and procedures?
• Can use key examination, monitoring and treatment equipment used in anaesthetic and surgical treatment of surgery patients, and can interpret and act on the information obtained from them??
• Can report and record information at different stages of perioperative treatment?
• Recognises the specificities of perioperative patient guidance and support?
• Recognises the safety risks of the surgery and anaesthesia ward, and can ensure operational safety?
• Knows the duties of a nurse assisting in anaesthesia, supervision and surgery, and is practising them
• Can monitor and treat the patient during intraoperative treatment and in the recovery room
• Perioperative nursing (organisation, tasks and areas of responsibility in team work, care environment)
• Ethical principles of surgical wards
• Patient and occupational safety in a surgery ward (e.g. infection control, asepsis, cleanliness categories, equipment safety, reporting and recording, use of checklists)
• Disinfection and sterilisation methods in perioperative nursing
• Aseptic techniques of surgical wards
• Nursing the patient before and during the procedure: different roles, tasks and teamwork of a nurse
• Common treatment equipment, instruments and sutures and assisting in a surgery
• Roles and tasks of the surgical team, as well as preparations before a procedure (booking instruments and medical supplies, surgical hand disinfection, dressing in sterile outfits, preparing the surgical position, disinfection of the surgical area and delimitation of the surgical area)
• Key anaesthetic methods and the pharmaceutical products used therein, as well as their
effects and stages in the body
• Preparing for anaesthesia (booking drugs, patient monitoring equipment
and preparation of the anaesthetic workstation)?
• Monitoring and nursing of an anaesthetised patient in the operating room and recovery room
• Pharmacotherapy and liquid therapy during anaesthesia and in the recovery room
• Patient monitoring and nursing in the recovery room and criteria for transferring to an inpatient ward