Programming for networks and information security TT00BO26-3002 31.08.2020-18.12.2020 5 credits(PTIVIS19T)+-
Competence objectives of study unit
The goal of this workshop is to introduce the students to the concepts and techniques for programming a network device. Upon completion of the workshop, students will be able to:
- Understand the value, set-up and use of software concepts and tools relevant to network programmability (Python scripting, Git, JSON, Postman, APIs).
- Describe a different approach to software-defined networking (SDN), including central application policy control.
- Create simple applications in Python with REST APIs.
- Use the Cisco DevNet Sandbox to interact with programmable devices using real-world APIs on Cisco APIC-EM programmable controllers.
- Create a variety of programs to interact with the Cisco APIC-EM APIs.
Introduction to Programming or equivalent competence in Python.
Content of study unit
Introduction to Python and Programming Basics
- Code and Communities of Practice
- Python Basics: Use Python to create programs that accept user input and read and write to external files
- APIs and Parsing JSON: Create a Python application that accesses an API based on user input and processes and displays the JSON data that is returned.
- Programming the APIC-EM 2.1
- Network Programmability: Explain how the Cisco APIC-EM enhances network management and performance
- Programming the APIC-EM REST API: Explain features of the APIC-EM API and documentation
- Create Python software tools for working with the APIC-EM API
Teacher(s) in charge
Petri Hyvärinen, Tommi Tuomola
31.08.2020 - 18.12.2020
Enrollment date range
03.06.2020 - 09.09.2020
Engineering and Business
Degree Programme in Information and Communication Technology