Programming for networks and information security (5 cr)
01.06.2022 - 18.09.2022
29.08.2022 - 22.12.2022
Number of ECTS credits allocated
Mode of delivery
Engineering and Business
- Degree Programme in Information and Communication Technology
- Degree Programme in Information and Communications Technology
- Tommi Tuomola
Teacher in charge
PTIVIS21TData Networks and Cybersecurity
PTIETS21dncsPTIETS21 Data Networks and Cybersecurity
- 30.11.2022 12:00 - 14:00, Luento, Programming for networks and information security TT00BO26-3004
- 30.11.2022 14:00 - 16:00, Harjoitukset R3, Programming for networks and information security TT00BO26-3004
- 02.12.2022 12:00 - 14:00, Harjoitukset R1, Programming for networks and information security TT00BO26-3004
- 02.12.2022 14:00 - 16:00, Harjoitukset R2, Programming for networks and information security TT00BO26-3004
- 07.12.2022 12:00 - 14:00, Luento, Programming for networks and information security TT00BO26-3004
- 07.12.2022 14:00 - 16:00, Harjoitukset R3, Programming for networks and information security TT00BO26-3004
- 09.12.2022 12:00 - 14:00, Harjoitukset R1, Programming for networks and information security TT00BO26-3004
- 09.12.2022 14:00 - 16:00, Harjoitukset R2, Programming for networks and information security TT00BO26-3004
The goal of this workshop is to introduce the students to the concepts and techniques for programming a network device. Upon completion of the workshop, students will be able to:
- Understand the value, set-up and use of software concepts and tools relevant to network programmability (Python scripting, Git, JSON, Postman, APIs).
- Describe a different approach to software-defined networking (SDN), including central application policy control.
- Create simple applications in Python with REST APIs.
- Use the Cisco DevNet Sandbox to interact with programmable devices using real-world APIs on Cisco APIC-EM programmable controllers.
- Create a variety of programs to interact with the Cisco APIC-EM APIs.
Introduction to Python and Programming Basics
- Code and Communities of Practice
- Python Basics: Use Python to create programs that accept user input and read and write to external files
- APIs and Parsing JSON: Create a Python application that accesses an API based on user input and processes and displays the JSON data that is returned.
- Programming the APIC-EM 2.1
- Network Programmability: Explain how the Cisco APIC-EM enhances network management and performance
- Programming the APIC-EM REST API: Explain features of the APIC-EM API and documentation
- Create Python software tools for working with the APIC-EM API
Teacher provided lecture material
Supporting public online material
All needed material will be available in itslearning.
Lectures and program examples
Independent learning (itslearning)
First exam in december, date to be announced later.
Two possibilities for re-exam.
Given program examples and programming exercises support each topic studied during the lectures. Additional material in the form of tutorials and reliable information sources is provided.
Contact hours 56 h
Inpendent studying 79h, including:
- Studying the course material
- Completing exercises
- Preparation for the exam
The goal of this course is to introduce the student to the programming related concepts and techniques often needed in the field of data networks and information security.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to write small Python scripts to:
-Parse different kinds of data (JSON, log data etc.)
-Connect and query a database
-Query an external API for data and build a simple REST API of their own
The contents of the course:
-Using basic Python data structures to store data
-Parsing data in Python
-Basics of databases - concepts of relational and non-relational databases
-Querying databases with Python
-Concept of an API
-Querying an API with Python
-Building your own RESTful API
-Command line arguments and piping content to a Python script
-Basics of osquery
Assessment methods and criteria
Programming exercises returned throughout the course
Introduction to Programming or equivalent competence in Python.