Links to materials can be found in itslearning. Some material is provided by the students themselves.
The topics dealt with both in speaking and in writing are related to the content matter within the student's study programme.
29.08.2022 - 16.12.2022
01.06.2022 - 09.09.2022
10 - 30
Tekniikka ja liiketoiminta
The course is assessed continuously based on tasks and active attendance. There is no final exam and thus also no retake exam. Possibly some small tests on limited subject area content (homework material) along the way.
This is a skills subject and skills need to be practised. Webcam + microphone needed for online sessions, if any.
Note that all assignments include dealing with the topic both orally and in writing. For successful task completion, both components need to be taken care of. Thus, attendance in class meetings is necessary.
Language use and thinking skills are interrelated, which is why the course aims to provide food for thought on various themes.
Practice sessions in the classroom or online
Independent information retrieval
Reporting in speaking and in writing
Class meetings, independent work, group work
- writing professional, field-specific texts
- presenting and discussing field-specific topics in a professional manner
- reading field-specific texts and utilizing the information in professional contexts
- learning and using key terminology of the field
- becoming professional, autonomous language users in working life
- deficient mastery of language mechanics, e.g. problems with tenses or sentence formation
- pronunciation issues which hamper understanding
- message often unclear
- limited use of vocabulary
- deficient mastery of register (politeness, appropriate style, choice of words)
- tasks late or only partly completed
- little or no contribution to discussion and/or pair work in class
- references not provided
The student has a communicative approach to language and is willing to develop as a language user but lacks proficiency in language mechanics. However, the message is always clear and the student is an active contributor in pair/group discussions. All tasks are done.
- tasks completed in accordance with instructions and by due date
- close to error-free mastery of language mechanics (CEFR C)
- clear pronunciation
- message coherent and clear
- good grasp of text structure
- versatile use of vocabulary
- good grasp of register (politeness, appropriate style)
- active contribution to class discussions and pair work
- correct use of references